On-site and Remote Options Available
This is a one day course with a live instructor offered to private groups of 5-12 people. At this time, we do not offer the course to individuals. Please contact us to arrange a your group booking. Please ensure you include the name of the course you are inquiring about.
About This Course
This one day course introduces experienced Akka developers to the Akka Streams API. Akka Streams enables the consumption of streaming data, in a fully non-blocking, asynchronous manner. It also allows us to consume that data while providing non-blocking backpressure to prevent mailbox overflows. Our goal is to learn the components that make up the Akka Streams API and how they interact. We will see a broad range of different Akka Streams components and have a chance to use many of them.
- Code examples and exercises will be written in Java, so a working knowledge of Java is required.
- We will leverage operations similar to those in the Java Streams API. Knowledge of the Streams API is very beneficial.
- Code examples and exercises will leverage Java Lambdas, so a working knowledge of Lambdas is required.
- We will need concepts from Akka Actors. A basic knowledge of Actors, Dispatchers, and Mailboxes is required.
After having participated in this course you should
- Understand the basic concepts of Akka Streams
- Know how to build linear streams using Sources, Sinks, and Flows
- Know how to implement fault tolerant streams
- Know how to introduce non-linear graph shapes into your streams
- Be confident to start using Akka Streams in production systems
- Level: Intermediate - knowledge of and practical experience with Java and Akka is assumed
- Length: One and 1/2 days - 10-12 hours of classroom time, plus breaks
- Approach: Extensive hands-on coding - students develop a workshop case study and produce an application based on a streaming architecture
- Requirements: Students must bring their own laptops with Java 8
- Runnable Graphs
- Fault Tolerance
- Lightbend Reactive Architecture - Professional
- Lightbend Akka for Java - Professional
- Lightbend Akka for Java - Expert