About This Course
Reactive systems are built using microservices distributed across multiple machines. This creates unique challenges when trying to trace errors in the system. Often an error in one system may be caused by errors in dependencies, sometimes hidden by additional layers of indirection. Correlating these problems across multiple systems can be challenging.
When errors occur, we are usually encountering them too late. The problem has already happened. We would prefer if we could detect the symptoms of the problem early and take corrective actions before the problem occurs.
Corrective actions we take may involve software changes that require new deployments. But how can we tell if our changes have had the desired impact? Unless we are tracking the behaviour of the system over time we can only guess whether a particular change is effective.
This course introduces you to Lightbend Telemetry. Lightbend Telemetry integrates with your existing Akka, Play, and Lagom applications in order to provide rich metrics that can be used to develop insight into your application. You will learn how to integrate Lightbend Telemetry with an existing application, export metrics to Prometheus, and visualize them in Grafana.
Earn this Badge
Successful completion of this course will entitle you to the following badge:
- Why Lightbend Telemetry?
- Configuring Lightbend Telemetry
- Visualizing Metrics
- This course is free for Subscription Customers.
- It is self-paced.
- It can be taken at any time.
- It can be taken as many times as you wish.
- This course assumes that students are familiar with Lightbend Technologies like Akka, Play, or Lagom.
- This course makes use of an application built with Scala and SBT. However, only a minimum of SBT knowledge is required, and no Scala knowledge is required.
- You will need Lightbend Commercial Credentials to complete the exercises.
- The exercises make use of docker. Docker and Docker Compose will be required.